1. Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Indian citizens who proceed abroad (other than Nepal or Bhutan) for employment or for carrying on any business or vocation or for any other purpose in circumstances indicating indefinite period of stay outside India.
- Indian citizens working abroad on assignment with Foreign Govt., Govt. Agencies or International/Multi-national Agencies like UNO, IMF, World Bank etc.
- Officials of Central and State Govt. and public sector undertakings deputed abroad on assignments with Foreign Govt. Agencies/ Organizations or posted to their own offices including Indian Diplomatic Missions abroad.
2. Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)
A PIO is one who is a citizen of any other country (other than Bangladesh or Pakistan) if
- He/she, at any time, held an Indian Passport or
- He/she or either of his/her parents or any of his/her grand parents was a citizen of India by virtue of Constitution of India or Citizen act, 1955 or
- The person is a spouse of an Indian Citizen or a person referred in sub-clause (i) or (ii) above.
3. Indian Students studying abroad
As per RBI guidelines, Indian students studying abroad would be treated as NRIs. They would be eligible for all facilities available to NRIs under FEMA and at the same time educational and other loans availed of by the students as resident in India would be allowed to continue