United Bank of India was constituted under the Banking Companies (Acquisition and Transfer of Undertakings) Act, 1970 on July 19, 1969. The Head Office of the Bank was set up at 4 Clive Ghat Street (presently known as N. C. Dutta Sarani, Kolkata 700 001 which was shifted to its present location at 11 Hemanta Basu Sarani, Kolkata – 700001 in 1972 for operational efficiency.
United Bank of India is one of the 14 banks which were nationalised on July 19, 1969. On October 12, 1950, the name of Bengal Central Bank Limited (established in 1918 as Bengal Central Loan Company Limited) was changed to United Bank of India Limited for the purpose of amalgamation and on December 18, 1950, Comilla Banking Corporation Limited (established in 1914), the Camilla Union Bank Limited (established in 1922), the Hooghly Bank (established 1932) stood amalgamated with the Bank. Subsequently, other banks namely, Cuttack Bank Limited, Tezpur Industrial Bank Limited, Hindusthan Mercantile Limited and Narang Bank of India Limited were merged with the Bank.
Changes in our Head Office
The Head Office of our Bank was set up at 4 Clive Ghat Street (presently known as N. C. Dutta Sarani, Kolkata 700001 which was shifted to its present location at 11 Hemanta Basu Sarani, Kolkata – 700001 in 1972 for operational efficiency.
Awards/ certifications received by the Bank